21 years ago today, on 22nd September 1994, Friends – aka the greatest TV show ever – graced our screens. Friends is a bit like melted cheese; loved by all, it never gets old, and most importantly none of us can imagine what life would be like without it. The show (as echoed in its theme tune) has always been there for us, and provided us with golden nuggets of life changing information such as the importance of Unagi. Never change Friends, never change. TOP ARTICLES 2/5 READ MORE Three MET officers reveal how they found their perfect career in policing – and what it is REALLY like on London’s streets today
1. Theme tune = karaoke gold Every episode brings another chance to bask in the greatness of the theme song. You sang along and you knew all of the words, but you never really understood what D.O.A meant. (It means ‘dead-on-arrival’ by the way).
2. ‘How you doin?’ Ah, a classic chat up line was born thanks to everyone’s favorite Italian American hunk Joey Tribbiani. This is the best line to try when you aren’t sure if someone fancies you, because if you get rejected you can always play it off as a solid Joey impression. Phew.
3. We all have a type Deciphering which Friend you are out of your own friendship circle has been the topic of many a fierce debate in the pub. You still maintain that just because you like to hoover your slippers once a week you are NOT the Monica. You think you’re a total babe and therefore obviously Rachel.
4. Oh the fashion <3 By fashion we don’t just mean the seriously cool 90s throwback outfits. Oh no, we mean highlights such as Ross’s leather trousers, Monica accessorizing a turkey with novelty sunglasses, and obviously every single thing worn by pregnant Phoebe, especially the Santa pants. Wobble wobble (Picture: YouTube)
5. The quotes Not only were the jokes great, but sometimes the one liners were even greater. For example the following: PIVOT / We were on a BREAK/ Could I be wearing anymore clothes/ UNAGI/ My sandwich – are all still capable of making you cry with laughter.
6. Still relevant Let us be thankful that Friends is still a good guide of how to live life now, even 22 years later. Thanks to Friends you know to steer clear of leather trousers, how to avoid a fake tan disaster, to never wear lingerie as outerwear when meeting your potential bae’s parents, and of course to never let a pimp spit in your mouth. Oh, the disaster (Picture: YouTube)
7. Addressed taboos Which other show in the 90s openly discussed gay relationships, and female sexual satisfaction? Exactly. P.S we still want to know what Monica meant by number 7. SEVEN! (Picture: YouTube)
8. So many cameos Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, George Clooney and Robin Williams (to name a few) all starred in Friends. You won’t see names like that popping up in EastEnders mate.
9. Apartment goals We all know that Monica’s apartment could only belong to a 20-something-year-old if they were the child of a gazillionaire, but that hasn’t stopped us trying to copy it. Even if this meant you painted your bedroom door purple and glued a gold frame from Primark on to it. How chic.
10. Awkward parents galore Ever thought that your parents were cringe-worthy? Friends quietly reassured you that your parents weren’t actually all bad. Seeing Monica witness her parents have sex a few inches away from her in a bathroom really made you realize that your dad’s dancing isn’t that bad. The sassiest mother around (Picture: YouTube)
11. They came to England Not only did the episodes in England include Richard Branson and Fergie, but they also set the scene for the best Friends love story (no, not Ross and Rachel) because it’s the place where Monica and Chandler hooked up.
12. 20s struggles Unlike TV shows nowadays, Friends never tried to gloss over the harsh realities of life in your 20s, when you have no idea what you are doing in life. Ever felt down because your co-worker doesn’t like you? It could be worse, your co-workers could lock you in the cooling fridge instead. Poor Monica.
13. Smelly Cat – ’nuff said What smelly cat was fed is still one of life’s greatest mysteries. Also, a great karaoke song to suit all musical abilities.
14. They are geeky From the Valentine’s bonfire, to Ross’s Science Boy comics, and Chandler’s incident with the Victoria’s Secret model during the power cut they all proved that they are just as awkward as us. Also, let’s not forget Ross and Monica’s special NYE dance. Snazziest dance ever (Picture: YouTube)
15. The FEAR Friends gave us possibly the best and worst career advice that anyone in their 20s can ever hear. It’s all about embracing the FEAR and throwing caution to the wind to get your dream job. If it worked for Rachael, then of course you too can quit your 9-5 and move to Vietnam if you want.
16. Relationship rules Friends showcased an abundance of awkward relationship situations before Tinder was even invented. Accidentally being left out of a threesome, the murky lines of being on a break and let’s not forget the importance of not saying your ex’s name during your wedding vows. Poor Ross (Picture: YouTube)
17. Miss Chanandler Bong Not only did this get discovered in the classic showdown when the girls lose their apartment, but probably the best nickname for Chandler. Could it be anymore funny?